Tuesday, November 9, 2010

A year ago on November 12th my husband lay asleep and I was just dozing off. The next day he would be assisting his grandfather in shooting the cows to be butchered. I was to meet a friend for lunch at her house with my kids.

I don't remember falling asleep necessarily but I do remember seeing in my mind my minivan rolling over and over with my children and I in it on the freeway. I sat up in bed. I didn't feel scared. My thoughts turned towards my heavenly Father. I felt impressed to write a note to Ray, a good bye note. So I did. I cried but I felt so peaceful. I told him how much I loved him and why I loved him. I told him if I died what I wanted done with the kids and such. I told him that if he was reading it that it was because I died in a car crash the next day in which the van flipped. I went to sleep promptly after.

I don't remember dwelling on it. In fact I slept fine. When I awoke the next morning to nurse Arwyn I was overcome with emotion. I didn't want to die. I wanted to be a mother and a wife. Ray had already left. I sat there with my baby sobbing. I didn't want to leave her. I didn't want to miss any of her life or my other children. I prayed. I read my scriptures and I talked openly with God. I told him if I had a choice then I wanted to live. I told him that I had not yet born my testimony sufficiently like I wanted to and that I wasn't done being a mother. I told him that I wanted to be the one to raise my children and teach them the gospel and the things of life. At one point that morning I concluded to not go, almost in that instant I heard a 'voice' in my mind declare " Do Not interfere with the will of the Lord". It was strong and undeniable. I would never and will never go against the Lord, so I continued to prepare to leave and prayed mightily.

I cried as I helped each of my children get ready. With each one I pleaded more fervently for the Lord to allow me to stay with them.

We got in the van and headed off. I turned on my "Greater Than Us All" cd and kept praying. I prayed with a sense of urgency those first 30 minutes of the trip, it was to be an hour long drive. I remember feeling like I had done all that I could. I had shared with the Lord my honest desires of wanting to stay with my children, and of wanting to continue to share my testimony, now I had to let go and trust him.

In that moment that I had "let go" I remember seeing this red car following too closely to another and thinking it a waist of time. 'Just go around them' was my thought. That 'red car' would later be the car that would hit me. I was on the free way and in the fast lane next to the HOV.

A bit further down the freeway I looked in my mirror to see if anyone was in the HOV. All clear. I signal and move to that lane. I glanced up at the mirror and see this car moving quickly so I tap my brakes to signal I am not going as fast. The car instead sped up and in that instant I knew he was going to hit us.

I swerved into the other lane to try to avoid being hit and braced for impact. It all happened in what felt like slow motion. He rammed the van on the left rear side. All the windows in the back and sides blew out upon impact. I felt the van rock side to side as my hands clung to the steering wheel. My children were screaming and crying.

After making contact he continued forward at the same speed right past me. I remember turning my head and seeing his face as he looked coldly forward as if nothing even happened.

I don't remember driving to the side of the road. I don't remember even getting out of my van. I just remember feeling so numb. Immediately my mind began rehearsing the accident. We were supposed to flip. I felt it. I knew it was coming, I braced for it but we never did.

I stood there crying as people were asking me questions that I couldn't hear because my head was spinning. I am not dead. My kids aren't dead. But why did that man just hit me? He hit me on purpose. He hit me like he didn't care. He could have killed us. I went from sad to mad and back again.

The trooper who assisted us would later tell me that the man went on to hit two more vehicles. He critically injured two people, and he would later die from his injuries. After hitting the last car he hit a concrete barrier head on.

I had so many emotions over the next little while. I was grateful to be a live, and humbled in a way that there are no words for. I had felt my van rock side to side. The sounds of the metal crushing and the windows shattering echoed in my head. The metal was crushed right up to the gas tank, but it was left with no damage. There was a huge pointed peace of metal that was literally a hair's length away from puncturing my left rear tire which would have increased our risk of injury had it actually punctured the tire at the rate of speed we were going. The Lord had spared my life and possibly the lives of my children.

I wanted to internalize that. I wanted to be aware of just what that really meant. I wanted to really be grateful for what the Lord had done for me.

Maybe my life was never going to end. Maybe the Lord's will was to always spare me. I will never know, nor do I care if I ever know. He allowed me an incredible learning opportunity. I had a chance to internalize why I really wanted to be here on this earth and what I wanted to do with my life. I had to the chance to verbalize those thoughts and emotions to my father in heaven and to plead my cause to him further impressing upon my soul my truest desires. I had an opportunity to truly let go and trust him and have faith in whatever was to be his will. A peace that is only learned in life's trials.

I was able to "see" during the accident His hand, literally and it has forever changed my life.

No comments: