Monday, December 15, 2008

Miraculous Monday

I knew you were all standing by your computers waiting to hear from me again :) Ok..ok so actually I wanted to tell you about my life recently. (dramatic pause) I am sick. The kind of sick that you only wish on no one. It gets worse everyday. This time last week was tough, but today was bad. But the Lord stepped in for me today. I have 'known' since last Friday that I was going to try to get a Dr's appt today to try to get some Zofran...oh how I love Zofran...I truly prayed all weekend that somehow it would work out that I would be able to get some. That I would get into a doctor that I would not have to beg, borrow or steal from to get it. A friend of mine who has five children told me about her doctor and how much she loved him. Our personalities are similar so I chose to go with him. I called this morning to make my appointment and told them it would be self pay because we currently do not have insurance and are STILL!!!!! in the process of getting medicaid (don't get me started on that one). So the nice lady told me the cost of the visit would be $250. I told her I couldn't pay that and pay for my Zofran ($20 a pill). She told me to stop by the accounting office before my appointment and talk to them about it. I called Sadie (the girl who recommended the doc) to see if she could watch my two youngest children. Thank you that she didn't watch one or two but all four, in addition to the three, plus two extra she had at home. Angel I tell ya. Ray meets me at the office (love that guy) we stop by accounting and share our story with the nicest woman truly I have ever met. She tells us to not worry about payment right now, that they will hold off until the end of January, which hopefully by then we will have all the medicaid stuff worked out (four months later...argh...ahahahah!). We visit with Dr. Farley (great name huh?). I am a high risk pregnancy...surprise! (a uterine rupture will do that you know) I tell him I want Zofran. He says OK. What? Seriously? Ok? Uh Ok then? He reminds me it will be expensive but he gives me a 30 day supply with 5 refills and he says if I run out let him know. AND if there is another I might need to try let him know. Now just so you know this guy isn't handing out drugs, but he was completely understanding to my particular situation with nausea and vomiting. AND he didn't question me. He knew that I knew my body. That after four babies he was pretty sure I wasn't making this up. Thank you. I wish I was making it up then I could make it go away :) We have the ultrasound and see our 1/4 inch size baby and his healthy heart-beat. The ultrasound and heart-beat thing always make me cry. Pregnancy is just such a miracle. And it always blows my mind that there really is a baby inside there. Oh...amazing :) We leave. Ray goes back to working and I stop at the pharmacy to spend money we don't have. I ask the lady who is helping me how much ten pills would be, that I can't fill the whole prescription b/c I don't have insurance and I can't afford it. She tells me she will calculate it for me. I wait.....hum..hum..dee-hum...she peeks around her computer and says well you could do all 30 for $30. Uh? What?!? Yeah if you wanted you could get the whole prescription for $30, she pauses as she is reading something, then turns and says 'yeah Zofran has a generic'....after they sweep my jaw off the floor and resuscitate me I give her the ok to fill it. Are you kidding me? 2 years ago there was no generic. I guess today there is. So I pay for meds. Promptly take one and go and retrieve my children. Miracles. I got a doc appointment with the doc I want to see on the day I want too, which happens to be a Monday. We don't have to pay. I get the meds I am desperately seeking for 1/5 the price I was imagining. AND there was someone to watch my whole brood so I could get this all done. The Lord took care of me today, as he does everyday.




Oh and one more thing....I can take Dramamine....if you get car sick on road trips you will appreciate this. We are going to be going a road trip of sorts...and I will soooooo need that Dramamine.

It has just been a great day!!!

6 comments:

Darcee said...

Congrats on being pregnant! You are a brave one, that's for sure! I hope you get feeling better soon! I can't imagine how you juggle all that you do! Have a wonderful Christmas!

Janalee said...

OH HAPPY DAY!! And it's not even Christmas yet! :) I'm so glad that it all worked out, and even better than you had hoped!

Traci said...

What a great day for you! Glad you found a great dr, that makes things so much nicer, since you will behaving to visit him a lot during the pregnancy.
Take Care!

Susan Staus said...

I'm glad it all worked out for you!!!
That's great that you can take Dramamine! I so get car sick and with my first two boys I was told you couldn't take it. In fact that is the very reason we waited to have Tanner. We knew we were flying to Seattle for Dave's brother's wedding (which never happened) and I disparately need it to fly and thought you couldn't take it when you were pregnant. So now I know for the next time!!!

Bonnie said...

I feel like I'm having dejavu right now. I've done the medicaid thing for so many years. The zofran thing, which stopped the vomiting, but not the nausea, ohhhhhhhhhhhhh I'm feeling it now just thinking about it all! Hang in there. As you know, it will all continue to work out. Ps. great to know there is now a generic!

Kami Su said...

I am sorry you haven't felt well. That is excellent news about the deals you're getting. I didn't know there was a generic. Love your pictures too.