Saturday, August 7, 2010

I like Marshall Mathers aka Eminem. Okay let me clarify just a bit. I do not like his old music. I was never a fan. The old Eminem was a troubled soul. I saw an interview with him recently some where about his new album 'Recovery'. He was a changed man. It was interesting listening to him because to a certain extent I could relate. I have never done drugs. But the recovery part, the part where you have to face the darkest parts of your soul. I have been there. His song 'Not Afraid', makes me cry. Sounds silly maybe. If you read the lyrics on line the profanity is there which takes away from it. The edited version though is much more moving. Rap moving. The thing is if you listen to it and picture yourself once trapped by addiction, sorrow, selfish and an intense feeling of loneliness and then picture the birth from that. The realization of how selfish you were, how selfish the people who hurt you were and then the realization that you are important and that you have what it takes to succeed. It is empowering and beautiful. In the video he falls if you will from the end of the road, and he allows himself to fall for a moment and then he chooses to literally rise above it all. Overcoming depression is very much like that. You give into it a little bit and recognize that it is what it is and then one choice at a time, one prayer, one grateful thought at a time you rise above it never to go back. My favorite line is "I'm not afraid to take a stand". Standing up to the demons, to the darkness that takes over during your recovery, takes incredible courage. It is not for the faint of heart. But the actions are not so much outward, it is a mental battle. No one will ever see that battle. It is between you, your soul and God. When with God at your side you over come that darkness, that depression and sadness, you truly feel ready to take on the world. You are moved to help all the souls who struggle with the same thing. You want them all to know it is possible. That there can be an end to the madness. I hope that this new album helps people like he has intended for it to do. I am grateful for people like him who can put emotion into song. I look forward to seeing how this new lease on life empowers him.

No comments: