Friday, May 28, 2010

The end

I have and had made peace with my relationship with my grandfather. So when I got the message from my step-cousin I was concerned but not panicked. My Dad found out from his brother that yes in fact he was dieing. I got the number of the hospice center and after praying about it decided calling would be okay. My grandfather's brain is shrinking and his heart is failing. He can't talk and he doesn't recognize anyone. Kathryn however was cordial. She put the phone up the his ear so I could talk to him. I told him I loved him and that I wasn't afraid of him dieing. I said I knew that where he was going he would be able to find peace, that the Savior could heal his heart of the anguish and misery that he carried around during this mortal life. I told him that I knew that he knew my testimony and that I loved him. I told him that I had five amazing kids, and that they didn't know what he, my father and I knew as children. I told him I broke the chain, that it ended with me. I believe that though he might not have understood my words that he could feel the "spirit" of which I said. I have felt only peace about his being so ill. I did my part and that is all I could do. I know that he can be healed and the hurts he carries. He was not a good father, and not a very good grandfather, but there is a reason. People are not by nature mean, so somewhere in his life something not good happened to foster such negative characteristics in him. I don't know if he has passed and I am not sure if anyone will tell me, but as I said before I am at peace and hopeful for what lies ahead for him in the eternities.

No comments: