Wednesday, April 21, 2010

I have ever been in a psych ward, AND I am NOT ashamed of it. It was when I was Boston. I can't remember exactly but I think I was in twice or maybe three times. I can't remember either exactly how I ended up there. I am sure it all had to with medication and the instability of my brain. I learned a lot though. I prefer the really crazy people. They are more honest than most. They know they are crazy. They have some great stories. Some true. Some you just aren't sure about. A lot of the people in there cycle in and out. They all just need(ed) the Savior. Their minds are just so unwell that they do well to feed themselves. A lot of them fluctuate between contributing members and homeless. You see they end up in the hospital suicidal, hallucinating or something exciting like that. The docs get them on meds. They get scripts for about a month or two. They get out, maybe get a job. And then they run out of meds and they don't go back because they think they are okay. Not realizing the medicine in their body eventually runs out. Their was a certain amount of innocence with these people. Some of them were manipulative, but it was definitely a skill I believe they developed for survival. The other patients often thought I was a doctor :) I think mostly because I knew way too much about meds, I can speak the psychology garb, and I was clean. I loved those people. I wanted to hug them and tell them that they have a father in Heaven who loves them, and Savior who could heal them. So many of their stories were the same. Homeless, broken home, drug or alcohol abuse, unsteady job or lack of job(s), no social skills. I was thinking of a friend this morning who came to visit me once while I was in. That is a true friend. While standing at the elevator waiting to leave one of the patience walked by completely naked. :) We still laugh about that. I can't remember what was up with that guy except that he was very mentally ill. A sad situation really. He needed constant monitoring. That dear friend though, with all that went on with me and how really weird and crazy I got at times because of all the different medicines I was on, stood by me and loved me. I think she actually liked having a 'crazy' friend. I don't regret my experiences in a psych ward. I am so very grateful for them. I learned a lot about me, and about compassion and mercy. One day those people will meet their Savior, and he will heal them. I hope I am able to witness it.

1 comment:

Beckie said...

Holy cow! It feels like I have known Jess since she was 10. Maybe I have I dont know, but you are right, time does fly and I am not a fan.

You are doing a great job with your kidlets, but sadly the day will come, sooner than I want to think about, where we will be cleaning up the cultural hall after one of their wedding receptions wondering where in the world the time went. I am going to try and brace myself right now...