Thursday, September 4, 2008

The will power of a 3 year old

I woke up inspired, motivated and ready to make this a potty training day. We started sharp at 8AM. I sat him down in front of a movie, with some liquid and waited. I cleaned the kitchen, read, helped the girls with school. He went in the chair, but not the big one or should I say the big #2. It was weird though, he would go and the only reason I would know was because the toilet would sing. Yes, I said the toilet would sing. You gotta love it :) But he wouldn't even know he went, and that was even when the movie was off and we were just hangin out. He saved the best part for when we were at the park waiting for Alora to be done with music class. He announced his action to me from afar with no remorse or recognition of where it actually should have happened. I was defeated in that moment. He doesn't care. If you ask him where do you go to bathroom he says, "my biaper". I am really at a lose. The girls wanted to go, relatively that is. They could tell me when they needed to go. What I am to do? Do I truly WAIT until it is his idea? My crazy fear is that he will be 4 and still in diapers. We have a ten months until then...but still?!?!?!? AGGGHHHH!!!!

5 comments:

Anna said...

like you my girls were so easy to potty train but my 2 boys were such stinkers and so difficult but once they decided to potty train it was that day! It was incredible-no accidents or anything!!
Good luck:) Hang in there. Even if he is 4 when he potty trains (alex was 4 andrew was 2)...it will get easier.

:)

Bonnie said...

girlfriend..with boys it can be such a loosing battle! If he thinks for a second you actually care you're done for. For what it's worth I had to be SO TRICKY with my boys so that they "thought" it was their idea and they "thought" I didn't really care either way. Weird. Each one was easier though because they watched the older ones do it. Hey with Nik I did a sticker chart for BOTH of us. It worked great. Everytime I peed I got to put a sticker on and it helped sort of reinforce it. I used Dora stickers for us because Dora is so manly and sparkly and he loves her! GOOD LUCK!

*ps...I totally agree that when they want it it will be easier.

ellen said...

I have many a friend who had boys that weren't toilet trained until after 3 1/2 so you may have to keep buying large biapers for a while!

rebecca said...

Echo to Ellen. I didn't even bother trying to potty train Thomas until he was 3 1/2 b/c I wanted a good shot at an easy training. I don't have the patience to drag potty training out for a month. T had a few accidents, but within a few weeks he was potty trained night and day.
Good luck w/ the least fun part of the mommy business! :)

Janalee said...

keep it up!! Joseph finally got it and now all of his pants fall off with no diaper to keep them up! :)