Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Don't forget to pray

My sister just called. She was sharing with me something that I had also heard about in emails. I believe there was a show that Oprah did about sexual predators. The things I have heard about the show disgust me. First of all I believe she could have done the show without any of the graphic nature. My sister said the women in the crowd were turning their heads and bawling. I am disappointed that someone of her stature would subject people to such things proclaiming to inform. There are more tactful ways to talk about such a sensitive subject. Second, the response to show was very interesting to me. I never saw the show, never will. But for my end of the deal I got a lot of emotionally charged emails. I appreciate and am grateful that so many are concerned for the increasing darkness of sexual abuse. My thought today as I listened to my sister was "we can't forget to pray". Our discussion began about politics. She made a comment about sometimes wanting to give up. I know she did not mean that literally, but that lit a fire in me. That is EXACTLY what the adversary wants us to feel. Overwhelmed. Discouraged. Outnumbered. How many times in our scriptures do we read about people who are for sure going to lose the battle? What do they do? They PRAY! And not just your standard answers pray. They PLEAD. We can't forget that. We can not forget our God. Prayer is so powerful. Yes! let's work for stronger laws for perpetrators, let's increase awareness and teach people who to watch out for and how to protect their families, but let's pray with that same zealousness. If we forget to pray for each other, for our country and for the world we will come out on the losing end. Things are getting darker, harder and thicker in regards to the evil in the world. But what an incredible opportunity for us to become more humble, more teachable and more reliant on our Father in Heaven. We can't forget!!!!...the church is growing....there is more light, more good, more opportunities to be spiritually fed than ever before. Our beloved prophets have testified of this and the fact that we WILL win this battle against the adversary!! We are all in this together. We have to pray for each other. That spiritual connection will carry us all through and beyond more than we ever imagined.

2 comments:

Anna said...

Thank you for the gentle reminder. Prayer is so important and often overlooked;)

Amber said...

First of all, HELLO! I haven't been on your blog in so long, and it was so refreshing and wonderful just to read your post and remember the friend you were and why I miss you. Anyway, I did see that show, luckily I recorded it so I fast-forwarded through the parts I couldn't watch. So sad. Definitely not necessary. But anyway, thanks for your words of wisdom, I do need to pray more, not just for the safety of my family, but for society in general. Love you!